I’m not sure why but I tend to work better when I’m in a busy environment. When I was in school, I would always head to a coffee shop and get homework done. Now that I’m teaching, I head to a coffee shop to grade papers or work on score studies. I think this is the equivalent (or slightly more so) of working with the t.v. on- I need the background noise.
I usually find myself at one of my favorite coffee shops in my hometown. The town where I work really has nothing in terms of a good coffee shop, so I drive the 15 minutes (and usually this gives me a chance to go see my grandparents.)
This coffee shop is always kind enough to serve veggie options. While usually this equates to a salad or a hummus sandwich, the other day it meant a stuffed curried sweet potato. I actually had to do a double take because it’s not something you see often but I was happy (and it was delicious!)
However, their menu changes and the probability of me eating this again is slim. So I did what I do best and made my own version. It was also delicious and completely hit the spot. The best part, I get two meals out of one! They heat back up easily in the microwave and make for a great lunch at work!
- 1 sizable sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion
- ½ green pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons veggie broth
- ¼ cup feta (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of good curry powder
- other optional veggies you can add are: carrots, corn, and/or peas)
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- Gently scrub the outside of the sweet potato, poke a few wholes through the skin, and place on a baking tray. Bake for however long it takes to cook the sweet potato through (mine took an hour but I also had a LARGE sweet potato.) Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Over medium heat, add olive oil to a pan. Add in onions, peppers, and minced garlic cooking until onions are translucent and peppers are cooked through. Add in garbanzo beans and continue to cook until beans are heated through. Remove from heat.
- Lower oven to 375˚.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half and carefully scoop out the insides into a bowl leaving ¼" of sweet potato with the skin. Mash sweet potatoes in the bowl and stir in the curry powder and veggie broth. Continue to stir until sweet potatoes are mostly smooth. Take a ¼ of the mixture out and set aside.
- Stir in the veggie mixture along with the feta if you are using it. (for a higher fat option, you can also stir in cream cheese into the filling.) Scoop back into the skins and top with the ¼ mixture that was set aside. Score with a criss-cross design and place back on the baking tray.
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes or until mixture is heated through.