First off- congratulations to Lizzy! She will receive Heidi’s cookbook!
(Lizzy, please email your mailing address and I will get that sent off right away!)
For some reason, I’ve have lost interest in most desserts. I eat ice cream and the occasional piece of chocolate but cupcakes, cookies, pies- nothing has really called out to me.
Until I started getting summer fruits. I actually made this before I made the peach cobbler (M was severely disappointed in this dish- he wanted a cherry cobbler) but for me, this was close to one of the best things I have made all summer.
The sweet cherries gave me the ability to add less sugar than I normally would and helped to keep the calorie count down (although these were still kind of high but not too terribly bad.) I love summer fruits- they make everything taste better!
- 3-4 cups sweet cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- ½ cup oats
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sucanat
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375˚.
- In a medium bowl, combine filling ingredients slightly mashing the cherries and combing the flour and maple syrup. Divide into two 4″ ramekins.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry topping ingredients and stir in the melted butter until everything is well combined. Divide the topping over each ramekin.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until topping is golden and the cherry filling is bubbly. Serve while still warm.