I’ve hit my birthday hangover. This usually doesn’t come from alcohol (only some years) but instead my ability to cram as much fun into two or three days as I possibly can. For this birthday I made a cake, went shopping, went gambling (I won money!), made food, ate food, and ignored homework.
I think is is more of an “oh crap, I have a lot of work to catch up on this week….”
That’s okay- I had a great birthday and I couldn’t have asked for anything more. Thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes!
As per usual, whenever there is an event, I bake. I thought it would be a nice Monday surprise to bring treats to my morning classes that weren’t candy or cupcakes. By brain went straight to scones. After making the Orange and Dark Chocolate scones a few weeks back, I have been craving a different version. I promise that I will lessen the amount of baked goods on the blog soon- most of this is all related to birthday stuff!
I think my brain was still in Valentine’s mode just because it went straight for strawberries and chocolate. I love strawberries and chocolate (even when it isn’t Valentine’s day…) I made these as mini scones (which were adorable) but any size will work!
Okay- back to homework! Also don’t forget, I will have my birthday giveaway continuing until Friday so be sure to go check it out!
- 1½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons natural sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup +2 Tablespoons buttermilk
- ⅓ cup frozen strawberries cut into pieces
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- Egg Wash:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Pre-heat oven to 425˚ and cover a sheet tray in parchment paper (or, buy a reusable silpat mat!).
- In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients. Cut in butter (using pastry blender, two knives, or my favorite-your hands) until butter is in little pea size pieces. In a smaller bowl, whisk together egg yolk and butter milk and then stir into dry ingredients until dough pulls together. Fold in chocolate chip and strawberries- roll out onto a floured surface.
- Whisk together the egg and water, set aside. Pat dough into a square and cut into four squares (for large scones) or if you don’t want mega scones, try cutting the dough into 6-8 pieces.) Place on the sheet tray and brush egg wash over scones (this will give a nice golden color.) Place tray in oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.