With my birthday on a Monday, I chose to make my birthday a weekend long celebration since my Mondays tend to be a bit busy (plus it’s Valentine’s Day- so that’s a pain.) The problem with having a weekend celebration is that I tend to go overboard on the amount of junk food I eat and by day 3 (I had Friday off) I’m ready to eat something that makes me feel good.
I’ve been craving quinoa for a while now and this meal came about out of a lack of not wanting to go to the store- I looked around and soon stumbled upon sweet potatoes, basil, and feta. Sounded like a good combination to me!
I love being able to toss a few simple ingredients together and end up with a healthy and delicious meal with minimal effort.
I think my body will thank me after the massive amount of pizza I consumed yesterday! Be sure to come back tomorrow and check out my birthday post– I made one heck of a delicious cake (also the reason I was craving something a little more healthy!) There is also an equal exchange giveaway!
- 1 medium sweet potato
- ½ cup quinoa (I used red but any other color is fine)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup feta
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425˚. Peel and dice sweet potato into ½" cubes. Toss with ½ tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place on a baking tray (I usually put my veggies on tin foil to avoid having to scrape them off the tray.) Bake for 24-35 minutes until sweet potatoes and tender and just beginning to brown.
- While the sweet potato is in the oven, rinse quinoa and place in a pot with the measure water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Once sweet potato is roasted and quinoa is done, julienne the basil and combine with feta. Toss everything together and stir in the remaining ½ tablespoon of olive oil. Top with a pinch more of basil.