I recently have entered into a small obsession with coconut milk. I’ve used coconut milk in tropical Popsicles, summer squash soup, crepes, and baked goods. Coconut milk adds such a depth of flavor and works well with so many things.
Enter in carrots and coconut. I had carrots from the csa that I knew I needed to use. I’ve eaten so many stir fries recently that cooking carrots was so far from my mind- I was thinking cake. Then, after thinking about it, I decided on carrot bread (a slightly healthier cousin of the cake.)
I couldn’t leave well enough alone though. I mean, carrot bread is good but adding coconut into the mix is even better. I have to be honest in saying that the carrot really isn’t a strong flavor which didn’t surprise me. However, the coconut enhances the sweetness in the bread which makes you feel like you are eating something rich and fattening when really, there is only four tablespoons of butter in the whole loaf of bread and I used whole wheat flour.
This bread is perfect for breakfast or a snack and you really don’t have to feel guilty about eating a slice (unless you lather it with butter like I sometimes do!)
- ¾ cup unbleached white flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- ½ cup sucanat
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 none egg
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup lite coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk, butter, egg, carrots, and sugars- set aside. In a large whole combine dry ingredients, stirring to evenly distribute. Pour in wet ingredients and stir until everything is well combined. Pour into a prepared (I grease with a little butter) 9×5 (and 8″ bread pan will also work- just adjust baking time). Sprinkle with extra coconut flakes and bake fore 50-60 minutes until bread is baked through and a knife can be entered into the bread and come out clean.
- This bread freezes well (as do most quick breads) and can be pulled out if company is coming or if you feel like a breakfast treat!